Located in an area known as the Pine Barrens because the branches of the dense, virgin pine trees interlaced so tightly that they almost blocked the suns rays and prevented the growth of ground vegetation, Colquitt County was formed from Thomas and Lowndes Counties in 1856. The county was named for Walter T. Colquitt, a Methodist minister, Georgias most successful criminal lawyer, and a state ...
Series: Images of America
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing (June 24, 2009)
Product Dimensions: 6.5 x 0.3 x 9.2 inches
Amazon Rank: 3705839
Format: PDF ePub fb2 djvu ebook
- Melody S. Jenkins epub
- Melody S. Jenkins ebooks
- English epub
- Travel pdf ebooks
- 0738567566 epub
e 1860 Federal Census listed 1,360 residents in the countys 547.5 square miles. Set up as a buffer zone between the Seminole Indians of Florida and the Lower Creeks of Georgia, the area was considered by some members of the Georgia Assembly as practically useless and not worthy of state expenditures for road construction. From this inauspicious beginning, Colquitt County has grown to be a leader in agricultural, industrial, military, municipal, educational, historic, and artistic endeavors. Colquitt County continues to be a leader in all aspects of community life, from the early days of logging, naval stores, farming, and livestock production, to modern advances in education, manufacturing, agriculture, and the arts.